Looking for buying the best espresso machine and you expect some advice? You are in the right place. I have selected some best espresso machines just for you. I think making espresso at home is one of the pleasures of life.
How to Choose the Best Espresso Machine?
The best espresso machines are mainly divided into two groups:
- Steam Driven Espresso Machine – It produces strong coffee instead of real espresso. Not costly at all. ($40 – $60)
- Pump Driven Espresso Machine – Create a real espresso with a topped-crema. The most common variations are:
- Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine – It needs some skill to use.
- Super Automatic Espresso Machine – Easy to use and make great espresso but very expensive.
If you intend to buy an espresso machine, definitely you go for a semi-automatic or super-automatic espresso machine.
However, I have narrowed down my recommendation of the best espresso machine in a table. So that you can easily review and pick the best one.
Best Espresso Machine 2021-Reviewed
- Breville BES870XL Best Espresso Machine
- Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista Best Espresso Machine
- De’Longhi EC155 Best Espresso Machine
- Nespresso ENV135TAE Best Espresso Machine
- Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine
- DeLonghi EC702 Best Espresso Machine
- Nespresso Pixie Best Espresso Machine
- EspressoWorks All-In-One Best Espresso Machine
- Mr. Coffee Automatic Dual Shot Espresso Machine
- Hamilton Beach Best Espresso Machine
- De’Longhi America EN750MB Best Espresso Machine
- DELONGHI ESAM3300 Super Automatic Espresso Machine
Quick View: 12 Best Espresso Machine
Breville BES870XL Barista Express is the best option if you want to enjoy an excellent quality espresso at your home. This machine is equipped with important functions for commercial use that offer you the convenience of home use without compromising the quality of your brew.
The BES870XL is the latest updated version of the Breville BES860XL Barista Express. It is available on stainless steel, blueberry red, and black sesame colors.
It has an elegant design with easy to understand controls on the front.
It is a semi-automatic machine and the only manual activities you need to learn to use are loading the coffee beans and replacing the water container.
The BES870XL has an integrated 15 bar pressure delivery pump, another integrated heating system that automatically adjusts the water temperature to ensure good delivery and a conical burr coffee grinder.
This model is perfect for a family of coffee lovers or a small office as it can hold up to 2 liters of water.
The BES870XL has a built-in 15-Bar pressure brewing pump, another built-in heating system, which automatically adjusts the water’s temperature ensuring a good brew, and a conical burr grinder.
This model is perfect for a family of coffee lovers or a small office for it stores up to 2 liters of water.
- Consistent brewing results over a long time.
- Slim, compact design and durable.
- It can be used as a hot water dispenser for making tea.
- High water capacity.
- Easy to use.
- Good customer service.
- Slight pressure or steam problems may occur, but they can be easily resolved with the help of Breville customer service representatives.
Mr. Coffee has been working in the brewing industry since 1970, making it one of the most popular coffee maker manufacturers in the industry.
The Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista is a semi-automatic best espresso machine as the user will still have to manually place the coffee beans and adjust the filters if necessary. Its automatic functions are covered by a milk frothing mechanism and a pump brewing system under 15 bar pressure.
Despite the small manual tasks, the Barista best espresso machine Coffee Cafe is still easy to use and clean.
It has a front control panel where you can choose the type of beverage you want to have. After use, you can remove the milk tank for storage or the water tank for replenishment.
Users who are using the device for the first time should remember that the machine must be cleaned and primed before use.
All Mr. Coffee espresso machines are supplied with detailed instructions that show how to prime the machine. It also includes free coffee recipes, measuring spoons, two-shot filters, and a coffee manipulator.
The Mr. Coffee Café Barista espresso machine is available in three colors: black, red and white stainless steel.
- Sturdy and compact design
- Adjustable drip tray to fit small to tall cups
- Relatively easy to clean
- One-touch brew selection
- Doesn’t need coffee pods – you can use any preferred coffee bean brand
- The pressure mechanism may suddenly stop working
- Automatic frothing does not produce consistent results
The reputed coffee machine company, De’Longhi produces the espresso and cappuccino machine with a 15 bar pump. It is a bestseller in the field of semi-automatic espresso machines.
The special feature of the De’Longhi EC155 model is the 15 bar pressure pump. This means that optimal dispensing pressure is used to prepare your espresso.
It comes with a small built-in tamper and a foam stick. You have to buy your frothing mug and another tamper if you want a bigger alternative.
This model is suitable for those who want to experiment to get an espresso machine, but are not serious or competent enough to get a more expensive automatic machine.
Most online user reviews report having De’Longhi espresso machines for 5 years or more. However, the De’Longhi EC155 model is not exempt from negative feedback since the product may not work.
- The brew that tastes good if the pump works well.
- Decent water tank.
- The machine heats up quickly.
- Cleaning can be boring.
- The built-in tamper is small.
- The heating mechanism may suddenly fail and a 1-year warranty applies in the event of replacement/repair.
Evoluo is the new version of the original VertuoLine with the same key features but few updates.
Nespresso is constantly developing while drinking espresso and coffee. Now Nespresso, the pioneers of disposable coffee, offers De’Longhi’s VertuoLine Evoluo with a completely new design and new colors.
The Evoluo machine offers freshly brewed coffee with cream and delicious, authentic espresso coffee and comfortably produces two 7.7 fluid ounce Coffee and 1.35 fluid ounce espresso at the push of a button.
Two different capsule sizes are used: one large capsule for coffee and one small for espresso. VertuoLine Evoluo coffee machines always offer a perfect cup of coffee thanks to Centrifusion, a patented extraction technology developed by Nespresso.
The machine prepares specific capsules with a barcode reader and offers the best results in a container for each mixture. The Evoluo premium machine also has a large water tank and capsule container, as well as chrome details.
- Create extraordinary freshly brewed coffee or real espresso at the touch of a button.
- Automatically eject the capsule after brewing.
- Simple, One-Touch Brewing
- Automatic detection of the mixture
- No need to change the settings
- The coffee temperature is 175 degrees, which is lower than the standard (Standard temperature 195-205 degrees)
Gaggia Brera Black is a super-automatic espresso machine and best form making Americano. Turning towards higher prices, Brera is approaching the upper limit of the starting range of the legendary Gaggia. This means you can inherit the brand without the need to check Ph for the machine.
Using this compact unit with a smooth stainless steel finish is a pleasure. Fill the water tank and bean container, press the button, and let the machine do its job.
Foaming milk by hand may seem uncomfortable, but it gives you more control over your drink. All other aspects of your coffee preparation are fully automated.
Cleaning and maintenance is an easy walk. You should also make sure to delete it from time to time.
If you have a generous budget and want a high-end espresso machine that can produce other types of coffee when needed, try Gaggia Brera on the go. It offers a beautiful style.
- The Heated cup warming surface supports you prepare the perfect brew.
- The spout moves to hold both espresso and ristretto coffee cups.
- It heats up very quickly thanks to Rapid Steam technology.
- Magic wand foam perfect for milk-based drinks.
- Intuitive controls and clear LED display.
- Stainless Steel Front Panel
- This model is wider than it is long.
- This machine is suitable for limited use. Water contains only about 20 ounces.
Definitely, De’Longhi is the most trusted and renowned name in the coffee and espresso making industry. EC702 belongs to the budget line of home appliances and does not compromise on quality.
With an elegant filter that allows you to use ground coffee or capsules, you can enjoy your favorite espresso in one or two sizes. All coffee comes with premium foam. If you prefer a longer and softer drink, a treat is waiting for you.
The foam system mixes steam and milk to produce cappuccino or latte, just as you would in a cafe. The stainless steel boiler is designed for a long time and with 15 bar pump pressure, you are ready to enjoy unusual coffee without leaving your home.
You can buy 5 or 6 glasses from a 1.3 liters tank, and since it is self-priming, you won’t experience any annoying lag at the start. Check out De’Longhi EC702 today for the perfect espresso and cappuccino maker of a brand you can trust!
- First-class crema for a taste experience.
- Very versatile: use pods or ground coffee.
- Frother nozzle for cappuccino or latte.
- 2 filter sizes for a single or double espresso.
- Large distance between the bottom and a filter holder.
- No automatic shutdown function.
- Quite noisy in operation.
The Nespresso brand is of European origin and only a few years ago its machines were sold in the United States. Currently, the Nespresso Pixie Espresso Machine is one of the most popular coffee machines on the market due to its durability and ability to produce high-quality coffee.
Nespresso’s Pixie Espresso Machine is classified as a super-automatic espresso model. However, you don’t have to grind coffee or manually adjust the temperature and pressure.
The Nespresso pixie machine is part of a range of espresso machines, small in size and compact enough for small kitchens or offices.
Pixie looks like a nice toaster, but don’t be fooled by its size. This machine has a pre-heating time of 30 seconds and its palette can be adjusted for small or high windows. It also comes with a removable water tank, burns when the water level is low and has an automatic shut-off mechanism.
As with other automatic espresso machines, you will need to purchase Nespresso coffee capsules for the machine or try other Nespresso compatible capsules available on the market.
For first-time purchasers of Nespresso Pixie, you will receive a welcome pack with 16 free Nespresso Grands Crus capsules. This allows you to experience the different coffee flavors and flavors that Nespresso offers.
- Small and compact design.
- It produces excellent coffee.
- Easy to clean all the parts.
- Adjustable drip tray for a tall travel mug.
- Small reservoir.
- Stress-free, non-standard coffee capsules can be difficult to obtain on a regular basis.
If you want to buy package deals, this 7-piece set from Espresso Works will definitely be perfect. In addition to the 15 bar pump espresso machine, you will also receive a sabotage and coffee grinder. A filter complements a foam cup and a pair of ceramic espresso sets.
You have everything to make quality coffee at home. You can enjoy a short variety of espresso and milk drinks to taste.
Therefore, check the water level in a transparent tank of 1.25 liters, which can be easily achieved as a drip tray and a foam device. This makes cleaning a breeze.
If you’re looking for a frill-free coffee machine that provides full packaging at a great cost, consider taking Espresso Works seriously. You will not be disappointed.
- It can be used without a loss of quality.
- The kit covers all the bases.
- It works in less than 1 minute.
- Enjoy espresso, macchiato, and Americano or add milk for latte and cappuccino.
- It is incredibly fast and easy to clean.
- A little weak espresso, so it’s not ideal for those who love a super strong shot.
This clean hybrid of espresso and cappuccino machine is very cheap but offers a premium drink. It makes dense espresso, frothy milk, and cappuccino. So don’t spoil the chance to get this extraordinary little machine.
The standard 15 bar pumping system is common in most home coffee machines and provides enough pressure for your needs. Note that you will need to manually stop the machine, so be careful to avoid unwanted overfilling when making coffee.
The compact size of this car means it is great even for small apartments. Put it on the counter and enjoy fast espresso without fuss. The thermal heating system offers you a combination of speed and even heating.
Therefore, it may be the best choice for a cheap and fun espresso machine at a very attractive price.
- Take 2 shots simultaneously with the dual shot.
- Convenient light indicators and one-touch brewing for ease of use.
- Removable drip tray to avoid an unpleasant mess.
- Frothing wand for milk coffee.
- Large water tank for your comfort.
- It cannot make espresso and steam simultaneously
You won’t be perfect at this price point, but the Hamilton Beach coffee maker will definitely get usable coffee. As with some machines, you can use capsules or ground coffee to stay limited.
The recovery time between brews leaves something to be desired, but for this price, you cannot get them all. The discomfort is somewhat compensated because you can make 2 cups of espresso at a time.
As for cleaning, this couldn’t be easier. You can remove the drip tray, foam nozzle, water tank, cup stand, and brew head. Wash, replace and you’re ready to go.
After all, this stylish little homemade espresso machine brings you great benefits.
- Very easy on the pocket
- Steam wand included for free
- The flexibility of capsules or ground coffee
- Prepare 2-espresso at the same time
- Powerful 15 bar pump
- It takes time to warm up the steamer
De’Longhi series espresso machines are proudly based on the company’s rich Italian roots when it comes to developing their products, and this affects the quality and functionality of their machines. The leader in this segment is Nespresso Lattissima Pro from De’Longhi America (model EN750MB).
De’Longhi Lattissima Pro includes two of the company’s proprietary technologies. The first is the Crema De’Longhi Latte system, which automatically mixes cappuccino. The second patented technology is the Nespresso capsule system.
With this in mind, it’s best to use Nespresso capsules or capsules on your Lattissima Pro so you can get the best espresso.
Lattissima Pro weighs about 12.6 pounds with stainless steel engine parts and ergonomic surfaces. The machine is equipped with a touchscreen that you can program when you want to turn it on or off in the morning.
The touch screen allows you to choose from pre-programmed drinks – cappuccino, espresso, latte, lungo, hot milk, and ristretto. You can also program it to make hot water for tea only.
The machine is an automatic device for making cappuccino, and if you do not want to add milk to your coffee, you can remove the mechanism of the milk container/milk Frother.
Lattissima Pro is easier to clean than previous models, and thanks to its electronic display, cleaning instructions will appear when machine maintenance is required.
- The robust machine and stainless steel coating are suitable for most kitchen and home office designs.
- It is easy to clean and maintain.
- A few pre-programmed drinks.
- Large capacity that allows users to make more espresso a day or entertain guests.
- The milk Frother works well.
- Nespresso pods must be purchased separately when stocks last. This may be a problem.
It is another excellent super-automatic espresso and coffee machine from De’Longhi Magnifica. It is a combined product and works exactly like Nespresso Pixie. However, you can use whole bean coffee or ground coffee with this machine.
With it, you can make both espresso and cappuccino. De’Longhi Magnifica super-automatic espresso machine has its own built-in burr grinder, where you can fine-tune to the taste of the grain.
It is classified as a super machine but without electronic screens. You will need to use the control buttons to turn the machine on/off or change the machine settings.
- Makes coffee with good taste
- Robust and compact design
- Cappuccino Frother Works Well
- Relatively easy to clean
- Cannot adjustable the drip tray
- The machine may leak
What To Consider Before Buying The Best Espresso Machine
There are some important elements that determine the quality of an espresso machine.
Sturdy and Replaceable Parts
Actually, there are two points here. It’s strong because you want it to last longer. It can be changed because you want it to last even longer! Most of the above-mentioned mid-range espresso machines have interchangeable parts and everything can be found on the internet.
Espresso machines have 3 types of boilers: aluminum, stainless steel, and brass.
Aluminum– cheaper, but it can rust in the long run. Corrosion is caused by chloride in tap water.
Stainless steel – not susceptible to corrosion, but considered safe for bacteria
Brass – the best material for boilers in espresso machines as it does not attack or grow bacteria, but this increases the price.
Do you have family members who are not as good barista as you? You may want to buy an espresso machine that is easier to use. Super-automatic is much more convenient to use than a semi-automatic.
Heats Up Fast
This type of function is not necessary. It is best to look at the machine that makes your coffee very fast in the morning when you travel.
There is no problem at all if you have flexible spouts with the coffee machine. Because many of us need a different size of coffee.
Security is a decisive factor. Check if the model you are about to buy has security issues with other models.
Easy to Clean
In fact, it depends to some extent on how well you clean it. See if it’s easy enough to handle the model you have in mind.
How To Use An Espresso Machine?
Do you have a grinder for an espresso coffee? If no, first buy an espresso coffee grinder, espresso bean, and cup. Then use your espresso machine to get the perfect cup of espresso. Don’t forget to use filter water.
Basic steps to use an espresso machine
- Add clean, cold filtered water into the water tank of the device. Lock the boiler cover tightly. It takes an ounce of water per shot.
- Insert the coffee basket in the filter holder and pack the ground coffee lightly. Most filters will help you measure the amount of espresso you want.
- Before insert filter holder remove all dust from the sides and top of the filter, and then place the filter holder in the coffee machine.
- Keep the cup under the spout. Then start your machine to heat water at the desired temperature. It will be forced through the ground coffee.
- Whenever the foam is turned into white, remove the cup or jug from the machine. If it turns white, it means that the liquid with the best flavor has been extracted.
What Can I Do With An Espresso Machine?
At last, you have bought an espresso machine. Think about what you can do with this machine besides regular espresso and cappuccino. Can you remember that long list on the Starbucks menu? I know after seeing that menu you can’t wait to be creative!
All right, I have sorted some tips for you, some of which are quite fun!
Americano – A type of coffee that is prepared by adding hot water to the espresso shot.
Cafe Breva – is actually a half-cappuccino instead of whole milk. It should have a very rich creamy taste.
Cafe Latte – is a coffee drink based on espresso and steamed milk.
Café Macchiato –sometimes called Espresso Macchiato, is an espresso coffee drink with a small amount of normally frothed milk.
Cappuccino – is a coffee drink consisting of double espresso and hot milk, usually covered with frothy milk. Cappuccino is mostly prepared using an espresso machine.
Dry Cappuccino – Dry cappuccino is named dry because it contains less milk than a normal cappuccino.
Frappe – is a cold drink that is made from instant coffee. Mocha/Mochaccino – is a kind of chocolate flavored coffee latte. Like milk coffee, it is based on mocha espresso and hot milk, but usually with the addition of chocolate flavor and flavoring in the form of cocoa powder and sugar. It usually uses chocolate syrup instead of milk chocolate.
How To Clean An Espresso Machine?
If you want to get the perfect espresso you need to clean your coffee machine on a regular basis that you have heard. Now the question of how to start the cleaning process? Don’t worry, I have clearly described the process of how to clean your espresso machine. Follow these steps and enjoy!
You need to clean your espresso machine:
Your coffee machine will sparkle and keep healthy if you clean it regularly in accordance with the procedures. In fact, it will extend the life of your machine. Most important thing is that you’ll drink a great espresso every time!
The steps are as follows as to do this.
- After every shot
- Maintain Daily
- Weekly Routine
- Every 3 to 6 months
After Every Shot
The cleaning process is simple and easy.
Thoroughly clean the milk wand with a damp cloth. Then pass some steam to eliminate any milk that locked in the nozzle and now you are prepared to taste another cup of coffee.
If you are not ready to make another cup of espresso, clean the bottom of the filter basket and wash thoroughly the head of the group. Then wipe it and dry and finally put it back in the machine. Afterward, run some water from the nozzle to clean the remaining spots.
- Clean the residue from your shower screen with a damp cloth. Attach the portafilter basket into the portafilter.
- Pass the water through the head of the group and rotate the filter handle to rinse the water around the shower curtain and the head of the group. Attention, as the water, splashed hot! Use a lower boiler temperature to prevent burns.
- Squeeze the filter knob and put water on the head of the group as if you were making an espresso.
- Allow the water pressure in the machine to increase for 15 seconds, then leave it with the stains. This step is known as backwash.
- Repeat this backwash process at least 5 times until the releasing water becomes clear.
- Replace the portafilter and drip tray. Clean the drip tray to eliminate the detergent that you have used.
- After cleaning the drip tray attach the portafilter.
I will make this part concise because the steps are very similar to the steps in daily Routine with the addition of detergent.
- Measure the suggested quantity of detergent as specified by the manufacturer, and then pour it into the basket with the backwash port filter.
- Place the basket in the portafilter with the backwash filter and add the mentioned amount of detergent to the portafilter.
- Thereafter, simply follow steps 3 to 7 of your daily routine.
Also, you should immerse and clean both the transfer basket and the back filter with a backwash in a water and detergent container. If your group’s head is not fixed, remove it and soak it in water and clean it.
Every 3 to 6 months
This procedure depends on the hardness of your water source, as it is designed to remove minerals collected in your machine. As the mineral content increases, the water hardens. Therefore, it uses a reagent or strips to test the water hardness.
- Empty the water tank and fill it with the appropriate amount of descaling agent according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Start the machine to enter the descaling agent into the boiler and pipes.
- Pass some descaling solutions through a stick of hot water and a group head.
- Keep the machine on for at least half an hour with the descaling solution.
- Then empty the water tank and fill it with clean water. Rinse the machine as you do in the descaling process.
- Do again 5 number steps at least 2 times or until you are satisfied.
Use litmus paper to check the pH of the water to make sure all the descalers are washed. If the blue litmus paper turns red, rinse again with clean water.